Shredder Yards Can Upgrade Scrap Sold to Steel Mills to Obtain Maximum Profitability According to New Eriez® White Paper

April 29, 2022 - "Innovation "

Shredders Can Take Advantage of High Steel Prices by Upgrading to Low Copper Shred


Erie, PA— Eriez® announces the release of a new white paper which describes a groundbreaking method for upgrading shredded scrap using a Shred1® Ballistic Separator coupled with magnetic separation equipment. According to Eriez, in many instances the lower copper scrap commands a premium of more than $40 per ton when sold to steel mills.

“Producing Low Copper Shred for Steel Mills,” written by Eriez Recycling Market Manager Mike Shattuck, explains that standard shredded scrap provided to steel mills ranges in copper content from 0.26%-0.56%. The exact percentage is dependent on the infeed material to the shredder and the downstream process after the shredder, as well as the process and testing methods of the resulting product, according to Shattuck.

As Shattuck explains, sheet steel mills use a blend of Pig Iron, DRI (direct reduced iron/sponge iron) and pre-consumer scrap (bushing). Typically, only about 25% of lower cost shredded scrap is used in the blend with the remaining 75% a mix of the higher cost Pig Iron, DRI and pre-consumer scrap.

“With the higher cost of Pig Iron, DRI, and premium scrap and the limited availability of these commodities, using a higher percentage of low copper shredded scrap will allow steel mills to reduce the cost per ton of steel produced,” Shattuck writes.

The Shred1 uses ballistics to efficiently separate iron-rich ferrous from much of the mixed metals post-drum magnet flow. This separator delivers two distinct fractions: a premium low-copper ferrous product (in the range of 0.16-0.20% cu) and a traditional #2 shred.

Installing a Shred1 Ballistic Separator and a polishing drum allows scrap yards to provide premium low copper shredded scrap to steel mills while reducing labor and increasing copper pickings.

“We developed this white paper to support our ongoing efforts to push the grade/recovery curve through customer education and product innovation,” says Shattuck.

Established in 1942, Eriez is a global leader in separation technologies. Our commitment to innovation has positioned us as a driving market force in several key technology areas, including magnetic separation, flotation, metal detection and material handling equipment. The company’s 900+ employees are dedicated to providing trusted technical solutions to the mining, food, recycling, packaging, aggregate and other processing industries. Headquartered in Erie, Pennsylvania, USA, Eriez designs, manufactures, and markets on six continents through 12 wholly owned international subsidiaries and an extensive sales representative network.


Featured Industries
Move to Top